Monday, August 24, 2009

The Sculptor

If you want to get me angry, just say to me, as many women with whom I work do, “I’m just a mother” or, “I’m only a homemaker”.

Stop “putting yourself down”. I know of no life’s work more demanding or more essential to the welfare of the nation than the raising of a self disciplined, secure, socially responsible child. None!!

If the C.E.O.’s of big companies get twenty million a year, the mother, father or any other caretaker who is successful in loving a child, listening to him, limiting him and then, when the time comes, letting him go deserves twice that amount.

The undervalued but critical importance of being a good parent is described in the following poem: The Sculptor .

“I took a piece of living clay and gently formed it, day by day.

And molded with my love and art

A young child’s head and innocent heart”

“I came again when years were gone.

He was a man I looked upon

And still my imprint did he bear;

The product of my love and care.

Abraham Lincoln proclaimed: “All that I am I owe to my mother”.

When your own child care chores seem endless, your problems insurmountable, your energy exhausted, think with pride of the sculptor in you. And know in every fiber of your being how important you are.

No comments: